5 gallon brewCheck out this recipe
Wanna try something new during the mandatory telework program? KAIPO members present a recipe you can enjoy at home. Thank you @Hyun Soo Kim for sharing with us how to brew beer at home.
5 gallon brew
- Largepot (at least to boil 1.5 gallon of water with grain)
- 5gallons – container or a carboy (Fermentation)
- Airlock (Fermentation)
- 48-5012 Oz. Bottles
- priming sugar
- Sanitize everything that touches your beer.
- Making the worthStart boiling at least 1.5 gallons. Steep dry malted barley at a very specific temperature of hot water for some time (temperature/time depends on the recipe)Add malt syrup (Constantly stir until all the malt syrup is dissolved.)
- Add hops/spices.The Worth is ready for yeast
2. Pitch the yeast
- If the worth is too hot, it will kill the yeast, which means no alcohol.First, Cool the worth.•The temperature of the worth must be 65-90 ֯F or at the room temperature.Since it take a long time to cool down the hot worth, give a good ice bath to the brew kettle or a pot to speed up the process.While waiting for the worth to be cooled down. Prepare a container or a carboy with an air lock where the worth will be fermented. So, add some water to the container to make the worth to 5 gallons. When the worth is at the room temperature, pitch the yeast•Wait for about 30 minutes. Transfer the worth to the container. The oxygen introduced to the worth during this process will help the yeast to start working.
- After transferring 5 gallons of the worth to the container, close the container with an airtight lid. No oxygen should be introduced to the worth during fermentation.However, in order for the carbon dioxide to escape and prevent any explosions and not to allow air into the beer, an airlock has to be used.
- After a couple of days, the bubbles will form in the airlock. If you do not see bubbles, check the lid or any other parts for air leaks.Place the container in a dark place at room temperature.Wait for couple of weeks until the bubbles in the air lock stop.
- The alcohol or the flat beer is ready. But, carbonation is not done yet, which means no fizziness.The remaining sugar in the beer will be re-activated with some food like a priming sugar in the beer bottle. (Dissolve about 2/3 cup of sugar and two cups of water)And, the bottle is capped, this time, the carbon dioxide will be kept in the bottle,which will give those nice little fizzy bubbles.Make a priming solution. (water with a priming sugar).Boil 2 cups of water and dissolve about 2/3 cup of a priming sugar.Transfer your beer to another container with a priming solution using a siphon.Wait for about 15-20 minutes until some sediments settle down at the bottom to avoid having those sediments from fermentation to be ended up in your finished product.
- Fill the beer bottle with your beer and leave a little bit of room at the top so that the bottle is not over-pressurized during carbonation.
- Cap the bottle. Then, keep them in a dark place at room temperature for another two weeks.